Sunday 6 August 2017

What is a role model and who should we bestow with that title?

I write a blog for a careers website and in a fit of writers block an idea hit me – role models.

It then got me thinking – who are my role models? Why are they my role models? Do they deserve to be up on a pedestal?

None of the people that I have been inspired by would class themselves as role models. They would probably bow their heads away from any crown the title may bestow. They wouldn’t want to be acknowledged for the great feats they have achieved, or the great traits they have.

They are not even all alive. Actually, perhaps more accurately, most of them are not.
One of my greatest role models received that title on the day of his funeral. My Grandfather had such modesty that he hadn’t told me of all the fantastic things he had done for his local community in his lifetime. He hadn’t told me how hard he worked for a playground to be installed or a zebra crossing. He hadn’t told me how determined he was for the greater good, as well as being the clever, loving and hard-working man I knew he was. That fact, the modesty, made me respect him even more. My greatest regret is not telling him that to his face.

My other role model was his wife. It was in fact their relationship. Their marriage was the marriage I inspire to have – the long lasting love, the true love, the forgiving love. Their ability to see and cherish each other faults, as well as their strengths. That said she was also a formidable woman in her own right. A one of a kind.

My great Uncle is another man who gave me so many life lessons and another source of wisdom I miss every day. He bestowed on me time, love and pressure to better myself every day. All that I have left of the determination, adventurous spirit and wisdom he had, are the letters and books he left me.

These three incredible humans are not the only role models I have, but they are possibly three people which I try to think like. Despite that, I look at charity workers, models, politicians and business leaders, and I am in awe of their determination or good nature. I look at people I have met over the years who have changed my life through lessons they have taught me, opinions they have made of me, or simply the choices they have made.

Which leaves me with one rather big lesson – what is a role model? Can a role model be someone we don’t actually know, or how well do we know anyone? Is anyone actually perfect enough to be considered a role model? Anyone so serving to others, determined and ambitious, intelligent or talented enough – for us to yearn to be made in their image or achieve their talents?

Or is role model actually just a great sense of respect? A respect for someone who has touched your life? Or is it a sense of ambition? To better yourself? To be more like that person? To have that part of their personality embedded in your own?


Or – should we only have one role model? God. Jesus. Because at the end of the day, the only person perfect enough to be given that title – and I am pretty sure my Grandfather would agree with me on this – is him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment